Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Foolish Wish Branch By Adesina Ogunlana

THE LEARNED SQUIB
The Foolish Wise Branch

Once upon a time and even up till now, there is a mighty family, so powerful that all the land, and resources of the community belong to it.
The family which goes un-named for now, enjoys so much power that if it sneezes, all other people catch cold. If it belches, others do have indigestion and should it fart, other develop a month long frownitis (serious and involuntary bunching up, of facial muscles): source - 21st Century GECKO DICTIONARY).


When the illustrious founder of this great family wanted to leave this plane, he called his two sons and daughter to him and spoke thus:

"My dear children, the seeds of my body, the sweat of my loins, I am on my way to my maker and my ancestors. Heaven has been kind to me and I have grown prosperous, famous and powerful. You must sustain my name and even surpass my achievements. You must not fight amongst yourselves. I hereby distribute my powers and wealth to you, use them well and according to their purpose.

To you my first born because of your wealth, I give you the power to sit on the throne and rule the people. Rule the people according to the law, protect them with your might, for you are a mighty man and no coward.

To you my second son, because of your love for the people, I give you the power and the wealth to make the laws, for society which your elder brother, will use to direct the people.


As for you my daughter, your great wisdom and knowledge commends you to the throne but for your sex. Therefore, I make you to be the judge of your people and even of your brothers. It is you who will determine what is proper and what is not. What is true and false. What is wrong and what is right. Your second brother may make the law and your first use it, but you alone will decide whether the law made is good or bad or even tell the people and their rulers what it means.

After speaking thus, the great and mighty progenitor sent his three children out of his room. The old man smiled as he set to breathe his last, then a frown appeared on his face. He had remembered that he had forgotten something. Something very important.

Then he sent for his daughter. To come. To come alone. To see him. When his daughter appeared after a few moments, her father said:

“I need to speak specially to you, because you of all your siblings have a special responsibility and special status.” “My father, I am all ears” replied the daughter affectionately, tears forming in her eyes already.”

“Don’t cry for me. Don’t cry for anyone. For your name from today is Justice. Justice cannot cry if the right and good things happen. Is it not right that after all my many years on earth, I should go to my Maker? My eyes have seen enough. My legs have walked enough. My mouth has eaten enough. My ears have heard, even more than enough. I call you in specially to tell you that your job is the most sacred of all. You must do it with all sense of responsibility. The peace and survival of the community depends on you a great deal.

Wherever you are, Oh Justice, there will always be peace, quietude and progress. Take care to treat every person, every case before you equally, evenly and fairly. Let your charity begin at home. If you do no justice to the people of your own hold, how can you do justice to outsiders. Even if you do, you are nothing but a hypocrite. Your hall of justice, your arena of fairness and your theatre of equity must always be kept open. Your waters, the waters of justice must always flow like a river, to all and sundry.

Don’t shut down the avenues of justice, lest society become a jungle. The jungle is not your habitat. Your power, dignity and relevance is in the city. You are the salt of the government and the only real hope of the people.
Again I admonish you to let your charity begin from home. Treat the members of your household well and fairly, lest they rebel and cripple your works."
Suddenly, the old mighty prince sighed. His time was up.

N.B: On Wednesday the 13th February 2008, the JUDICIAL STAFF UNION OF NIGERIA called off a nine - day strike to protest against poor welfare package of non-judicial staffers of the nation’s judiciary. For the nine days all High Courts and Magistrate Courts in the country went on forced holidays.

No comments: