Tuesday, February 24, 2009

'Cogent Reasons and Other Excuses' By Adesina Ogunlana

Practically everybody knows how useful exercises are to the human body. Especially when the bodies in question have been immersed in sedentary living. Such bodies just soak in the easy life without giving much away or out. Little wonders such bodies tend to be stiff, disease prone and in some cases, ungainly.

Just like the mind, indolence kills the body, albeit slowly. Activity is the body’s best friend. To get the best out of the body, it needs to be tasked, stretched, pulled, twisted and generally moved about and for such a time to generate heat and sweat.


Now, only few people like to submit the body for exercise. In their minds’ eye exercise means “pain” Discomfort, Inconvenience’ even Embarrassment. Little wonder they find all manners of excuses and reasons to avoid exercise to the body.

Today I will list out some of the “cogent reasons” I have heard from people dodging participation in the weekly weekend sports programme of the Nigerian Association Ikeja. Here we go:

1. MY HOUSE IS TOO FAR
2. I DON’T HAVE A CAR
3. MY SATURDAY MORNINGS ARE SPECIAL
4. I HAVE A WEDDING TO ATTEND
5. I AM TOO OLD TO PARTICIPATE
6. I WILL TRAVEL ON SATURDAY
7. SATURDAY MORNINGS ARE TOO COLD TO GO OUT
8. IT WLL RAIN
9. THERE ARE LIONS IN THE STREET
10. I WILL GO TO MY CHAMBERS
11. MY WIFE WILL COMPLAIN
12. MY HUSHAND WILL NOT AGREE
13. V.I.Os WILL BE ON THE ROADS
14. WE ARE ONE A 250 DAY FAST IN OUR CHURCH
15. I DON’T HAVE ‘TRAINERS’
16. I HAVE TO ATTEND MY TAILOR’S GRANDFATHER BURIAL
17. NEXT SATURDAY IS MY BIRTHDAY
18. I’M NOT FEELING TOO WELL
19. MY IN-LAWS WILL BE VISITING
20. I WILL BE VISITING MY IN-LAWS
21. I’M TAKNG THE KIDS OUT
22. DOING EXERCISE CANNOT HELP MY FAT BODY (ITS ONLY GOD)
23. I AM TOO THIN
24. IS THE GOVERNOR COMING?
25. SATURDAY IS VAL'S DAY

Very cogent reasons!

No comments: