Thursday, October 29, 2015

'March 4 Victory'. By Adesina Ogunlana

March has become  a very important month in my life, particularly so since 2010.

Incidentally, I was not born in March. I did not give birth in March  and hope not to die in March. Furthermore I did not start schooling in March nor end any of my schooling in March. Even when a Vice-Chancellor now of blessed memory decided to kick me and thirty-three others from the best University for Law then, (Lagos State University), the expulsion did not take place in March, likewise the inevitable recall.

However some very important events in my life have happened in March. For example, the Squib debuted fourteen years ago in March (March 2001). I was called to the Bar in March (1996). Pitiably, it is also in March that I lost two of the three most important men in my life.

As you might have been aware, I have the exceptional good fortune of belonging to three fathers. I am the case of one son, three fathers! Unlike most other people.

I have a father in fact called Daniel Oyewole Ogunlana.
I had a father-in-law called Dr. Joseph Eyitayo Adetoro.

I had a father-in-the law called Chief G.O.K. Ajayi S.A.N, the Oodole of Ile-Ife.

You must have noticed that I write of Dr. Adetoro and Chief Ajayi in the past (tense). This is so because the two giants have left for the great beyond.

Dr. J.E. Adetoro, former Federal Commissioner under General Yakubu Gowon from 1967 – 1975 died on March 22, 2010. Chief G.O.K. Ajayi S.A.N went the way of all mortals on March 28, 2014. I miss both of them greatly.

G.O. K. Ajayi’s destiny even in death seems still linked wih Nigeria and her democracy. Chief’s birthday falls on May 29, but it is that not Nigeria’s democracy day? And when is Nigeria going to the polls this very year? March 28!

So Chief Ajayi’s one year remembrance falls on Election day!

My consolation is that come March 29, 2015 by the special grace of God, there’s going to be a very important change of name in the country.

This is what I mean – Goodluck Jonathan will become Goodbye Jonathan!

No comments: