Sunday, November 18, 2012

'Lagos,Lagos, Where Are Thy (High Court) Judges? By Adesina Ogunlana

Vol.13.No3  (12-11-12)


A saying may be popular, perhaps very popular; that however does not validate its veracity. A maxim may have spawned from time immemorial, and be quite memorable, but those realities cannot vouch for its truth content.

I gave an example. When you ask people, what is it that does not succumb to change, the invariable answer is “only change does not change” or “only change is permanent” or “no condition is permanent?”

The answer is popular and universal but so so wrong. After all there is one other THING that does not change, and in fact cannot change.

And, ladies and gentlemen, I respectfully mention HIS name, God…………. Oyigiyigi Eledumare, Atererekariaye 

God does not change. His ways are immutable. In the days of yore, He spoke to people and people heard HIS voice.

I tell you the Good Lord still speaks to people, or situations and some other people are privileged or very fortunate to be given the right of spectating and others the liberty of reportage.

This columnist falls to the last category and so I must my duty do. A few days ego, some geckos who monitor the skyscape, and are known as either “Open Heavens Geckos (OHG)” or “Inter-galaxy Geckos (IGG)” bore witness to the following fabulous lines.

According to my “OHG”  or “IGG” reporters, Lagos State (hereinafter referred to as Lagos) was in deep slumber in the night of 5th November 2012 when a voice, the voice, that voice in a melodious but penetrating boom enquired- : “Lagos, Lagos, where are thy Judges?”

Now Lagos was a heavy sleeper. Her legs sprawled on the Mainland, the torso rested on the Lagoon while her head nestled on the Atlantic. She stirred but did not immediately come out of the stupor of her slumber.

THE VOICE: (booming deeper) Lagos, Lagos, I say where are thy Judges?

LAGOS: (jumping up in numbed puzzle and frozen fright) “Good morning Sir. Good morning Lord of Lords.

THE VOICE: Lagos! Lagos! Lagos! Where are thy Judges?

LAGOS: (now up-standing and quaking) My Lord, Lord of Lords, the Owner of the Day of Judgement, they are in Gabon sir, sorry they are in Gambia sir, ah, so sorry sir, they are in Canada sir.

THE VOICE: All your judges are not in Nigeria? Why, why, speak, for I your Lord heareth!

LAGOS: (now a bit calmer and less afraid) My Lord, Lord of Lords my judges went on a training course, so that they can know more and do their job better.

THE VOICE: Really? Are they student-judges? Are they newly appointed judges?

LAGOS: (her fear returning) No my Lord but, but judges are better off with continuous education.

THE VOICE: Were you not supposed, to appoint the wise as judges in the first place?

LAGOS: Yes my Lord.

THE VOICE: Did you?

LAGOS: Em, em, em,em, Not all of them are wise my Lord but I had to appoint those others because, because, em, em, em, because…

THE VOICE: Because of what? You mean you fear and give respect to the wishes of mortals above my commands that only the wise and the just should be appointed judges over their fellow men? By the way how many judges did you take to EUROPE for “more education?

LAGOS: Em, em, about fifty Sir

THE VOICE:  How many are their teachers?

LAGOS: The Chief Judge said they are just about six, my Lord.

THE VOICE:  Lagos! Lagos! You mean you took 50 students to meet 6 teachers, in a foreign land. Would it not have been much easier, cheaper and better to bring 6 teachers to meet 50 students here?

LAGOS: (shaking uncontrollably?) My Lord, My Lord.

THE VOICE: The students you took to meet teachers, is it not true that you will pay them “estacodedisturbance allowance”out-of-station allowance,” yet they went to receive knowledge?

LAGOS: Ah My Lord, My Lord.

THE VOICE: Lagos! Lagos! Is this trip of ‘special students’ to the foreign land not costing you up to 150 million naira?

LAGOS: Ah My Lord, My Lord

THE VOICE: In a state like yours where poverty is grinding for many of your people, is this the best way to spend the money and the sweat of your people?

LAGOS:  My Lord, My Lord

THE VOICE: Lagos! Lagos! I ask you - this special trip of special students is it really a journey in search of education or an avenue for a jamboree or a junket?

LAGOS: My Lord, My Lord

THE VOICE: (In a thundering, roar) Stop Milording me! I am the Lord and I am no respecter of persons. I am slow to anger but sure to punish all injustice, all inequalities.

The groans and the cries of the multitude of the poor in your midst have reached my ears. You help the rich to get richer and make the poor, poorer. You increase the comfort of the rich but you make the poor to shed more tears.

I am the God of Justice. I am the God of Justice. I am the God of Justice.

LAGOS: (terrified to stupefaction, lay prostrate on the ground, in a faint).

No comments: