Tuesday, January 15, 2008

'At A Cousin's Party' By Adesina Ogunlana

Vol 8 No 13 14th January 2008

THE LEARNED SQUIB



A couple of Sundays ago, I was at a cousin’s party. Well, luncheon is more like it. At least that’s what the “owner of the occasion” dubbed it.


The luncheon was held to celebrate my cousin’s recent elevation to the highest niche in the legal profession. The celebration took place at the Golden Gate Restaurant, a rather touching coincidence I may say, considering that my cousin’s office is known and addressed as CITY GATE CHAMBERS.

Now, normal people attend such ‘get-togethers’ basically for four things - to eat, drink, dance and ‘to have fun.’ We know that to ‘have fun’ may include ‘chatting (gossiping) with friends and foes alike in false amity, showing off one’s party apparel, showing off one’s consort or concubine or laying the groundwork for future, even immediate romantic liaisons and conquests.

Other not so normal people make use of social events to do a lot of other things from plotting or and perfecting coups to solving the oldest riddle in Algebra since the Gordian knot. Personally, I do not indulge in such vices. If there is food to eat, I take and if there is drink, I also take. Naturally, as a gecko, the First Gecko, for that matter, I see ordinarily invisible things at parties and hear unspoken sounds.

Now let me share some of my gecko-ish perceptions at my cousin’s luncheon with you:

1. I saw a high court Judge, a beautiful lady, in a beautiful gown, the colour of the sea, curtsying to a Bishop, proving innocently that, Lords Temporal are below Lords Spiritual.

2. I saw another high court Judge, an African Madonna, walking up to a very senior lawyer and curtesying to him, proving innocently too, that rank is one thing, true seniority another.

3. I heard the admonition to the celebrant, from the only Bishop in attendance, that he should not take the briefs of looters of public treasuries. I heard the loud, endorsing claps of one famous human rights warrior and gainfully employed E.F.C.C consultant. At that moment it struck me that the warrior, not too long ago was counsel to some saintly ladies called Jennifer Madike and Toyin Igbira. I smiled into my moustache.

4. At a certain point, the children of my cousin were called out to identify with their daddy in his moment of glory. When a particular fellow saw the delectable Adesina sisters (and still growing) he tapped his friend on the shoulder, pointed covertly at the innocent beauties and declared:
“Vengeance is mine, says the Lord.” The friend burst out laughing. I did not wonder why.

5. I saw another high court Judge, yet another lady. Her very presence at the luncheon of my cousin was a thing of beauty. You see, the judge and my cousin had a tango up to the Disciplinary Committee of the NBA some years back.

The matter did not go the whole hog despite the initial heat and tension between judge and counsel. The matter was settled and apparently well settled. Proof - the presence of the honourable Judge at my cousin’s luncheon.

6. One of the most memorable speeches at the luncheon was my cousin’s. The man made clear how the benevolence and munificence of some other people helped him along the way up the ladder of success.

The necessary implication of this is that, he himself is under the obligation to conduct his life in such a way that complete strangers can use his now broad-shoulders as a launching pad for their own success. My cousin therefore should be the last person to follow the foot-paths of certain well known legal giants whose wealth is locked up within their family.

I rest my case, for now. Happy New Year.