Monday, January 14, 2008

'Omo Were Yen' By Adesina Ogunlana

Vol 7 No 23 16th April 2007

THE LEARNED SQUIB


If anyone sees me going about full of self importance and with my nose in the air, such must not be quick to accuse me of undue pomposity. Who I ask, will be in my shoes and remain humble and meek? How many small time lawyers have been honoured by the pinnacle of judicial authorities in their state of practice, twice in four years and in public too?

The first public honour, in fact acclamation cum exaltation was done me in 2003 by no less a judicial juggernaut than the legendary Ibitola ‘Debisi Sotuminu, the then Iku-Mama Yeye of Lagos State, I mean the Chief Judge of Lagos State.

At a public function, a special publication of the Lagos State Judiciary chronicling the achievements of the Sotuminu administration was presented. A certain page recognized Adesina Ogunlana as the “publisher of the obnoxious Squib magazine.”

Oh what great praise that was! To be accorded recognition as the publisher of an obnoxious magazine. You know after my investiture by Sotuminu C.J, the sales of the squib just soared.

After Sotuminu succumbed to the truism of the Shakesperian posit that “Life is but a stage…” came Adeyinka Fatai, who left the scene with a reputation of been rather a cheap purloiner. That one mercifully did not honour me.

After Adeyinka C.J now comes the present numero uno-Augustine Adetula Alabi C.J. very recently and at a most auspicious occasion, one of those regular Oshinbajo inspired intellectual feasts, (Minstry of Justice Workshops). Mr. Justice Alabi the honourable Chief Judgee honoured me greatly even blatantly before foes and friends alike.

This is how it happened. Professor Yemi Osinbajo, the beloved Attorney-General of Lagos State had just delivered a fifty minute address evaluating the progress made in the Tinubu administration.

The moderator of the session was the Chief Judge. The Chief Judge moderated well, very well, allowing speaker after speaker to have their say in reaction to the Osinbajo paper.

After all the officially accredited contributors had their say, the floor was thrown open to, so to say, lesser mortals.

I don’t miss such opportunities. I was the very first to raise my hand signifying an attention to speak. On the ‘high table’ were three luminaries, the Chief Judge himself, ex-chief judge of Lagos Samuel Olatunde ilori J and Professor Osinbajo S.A.N

It was Professor Osinbajo who noticed me first. The professor promptly drew the Chief Judge’s attention to my aspiration.

Upon seeing me, the Chief Judge did the unexpected-his Lordship conferred on me a very great honour by awarding me a most prestigious title in front of the movers and shaker of the Lagos Judiciary present-Judges, magistrates, States Counsel and the NBA leaders.

Upon seeing me, the honourable Chief Judge ejaculated (fortunately) into the microphone the following legend “HA! OMO WERE YEN NI”

Many who heard the honourable Chief Judge were shocked indeed perplexed that such an excellent man can think of conferring such exceeding great honour on a minnow such as my self. I myself was greatly and pleasantly surprised at such great honour. I mean who was I ? and, who were my fathers before me?

However I was even more amazed that some people were of the opinion that what the Chief Judge said was not honour but an insult and a monstrous gaffe. According to such people – OMO WERE YEN NI in English translates “OH, IT’S THAT LUNATIC”.

Although they felt so much hot under the collar on my account, I could not bring myself to share their sentiments. First of all I am not a lunatic. I didn’t dress like a lunatic that day and I had never done so or ever will. Also I didn’t speak like a lunatic and when the ‘mike’ was finally handed over to me, loud ovation greeted my humble speech. I don’t think sane men and women such as constituted the audience that day will lend a lunatic a listening ear, talk less of applauding him.

This is why I believe that the Chief Judge’s comment was not derogatory of my person in any way. For me I would have been sorely grieved if the Chief Judge had decribed me in any of the following terms. “Ah, Omo Ode Yen ni {Oh it’s that idiot), Ah, Omo ole yen ni (Oh, its that brigand), Ah omo lasan yen ni (Oh, its that good for nothing fellow).

Clearly such terms are mean and derogatory. But to be described as “Omo were yen” to me is an affectionate term. Thus I wish to use this opportunity to thank the honourable Chief for investing me with such a great honour.

I pray that just as the Squib soared to higher heigfhts after Sotuminu C.J honoured her editor-in-chief, in 2003 the magazine will experience such elevation after my March 2007 recognition by the incumbent Chief Judge.

Who is joining me to say Amen?

No comments: